Saturday, September 17, 2011

Why that King?

The first chapter of Esther discusses the King.  It tells a lot abut his character, habits and his life.  He may represent many males today but on a much grander scale.  The most important thing is he represents the traits that are part of the masculine male.  Now that may sound offensive.  Most men are not tyrants, and Xerxes indeed was, if you look at the history of the times.  but the Bible is not addressing that right now.  I think that is why it gives very very little about his personality traits and concentrates much on what he does.  In this story he exists to be acted upon.  I think you could switch most men for Xerxes and still write the same story, because we all are a little egotistical, a little self centered, we each tend to shun those who disrespect.  You may be saved, you may have lived a long life with the Lord, but the longer I am saved, the more I realize, YES! I am egotistical.  God is working it out of me. That's what the process of salvation is all about.  HIM working it out.

In this study, though, it is not the Kings faults that we are going to concentrate on.   It is how Esther decides to deal with them. Yes, signing an edict to eradicate a whole nation of people is not a good decision.  Throwing parties to show off ones wealth and pride are NOT good traits.  I suppose, this is exactly why King Xerxes was considered for this story.  Because there are difficult things to deal with.  He is NOT an easy one to sway.  He is dangerous, unromantic, uninvolved, and treats his wives as though they are servants for his pleasure.

Wives, how many times does your husband fall into the same category?  How often is he dangerous? Unromantic? uninvolved?  Treats his wife like a second class citizen?  Whether saved or not saved, it really doesn't matter.  He is who he is and he is doing what he is doing.  And when you approach him, he does what he does.  Why?  Don't know!  What I do know is this.  The book of Esther brings some very important insight into the relationship God intends for the Godly wife.  He is NOT setting Xerxes up as a model, rather an obstacle.  He is setting Esther up as a model.  That is worth studying.

Signing an edict to

No comments:

Post a Comment